Monday, September 15, 2014

It worked!

May 4, 2014:

Today was the day that I got the call from fertility clinic...not the one I typically expect of "well, we will try again next cycle," but "It worked!  You are pregnant."  They also said that my HCG levels were very elevated, about 850 above the normal pregnancy number, so I would need to schedule an early ultrasound to make sure everything was OK.  They also said it "could mean multiples...."  The pregnancy news was met with excitement, but also some pretty strong reservations.  As we were beginning treatments again, my sister, Whitney, had her baby Jude after only 5 months of "cooking," and I was nervous for that possibility, as well as handling pregnancy with a spunky 18 month old.  And then there was the possibility of more than one.  I had jokingly said many times that I would like to have more than one baby at once so I wouldn't have so many rounds of fertility treatments.  As this became more of a reality in my mind, I reasoned with myself that it was hard enough to get pregnant with one, that two or more was just out of the question.

But, I have long since realized that I don't typically get a say in these type of matters, so I decided to choose optimism (with just a little skepticism).  That was until the "morning" (or all day & night) sickness hit.  I was pretty sure I might die, or invert my stomach from so much vomiting.  But, I am here writing this, so it didn't happen.

Adding to the nausea and sickness, I went to my first 6 week ultrasound appointment.  I guess I am a little tainted when it comes to optimism about having kids, and am usually sure they will find something wrong.  The doctor began the ultrasound and had trouble finding anything.  He said a couple of times that he just couldn't see anything in my uterus.  I was sure this was the case, and began my grieving process on the exam table.  However, a couple of seconds later, he said "oh...what have we done here?"  Now, what is THAT supposed to mean?  He ended up finding two yolk sacks, and said the probability of twins was high, and he would consider me pregnant with twins at the moment.  He also cautioned us, saying that sometimes, even though there are two sacks, things don't turn out.  I was happy with possibility of even just one, and so my denial of two began...

No comments:

Post a Comment