Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My Kid Rocks!

So, I was super nervous checking in to the hospital for bowel prep...Etta just loves to eat, and wouldn't be allowed this luxury for at least 24 hours.  I can safely say she is the strongest, most tolerant, and of course, spunky kid I know.  She took most of the procedures in stride, and slept most of the night (unlike me).  She  is such a trooper. 



So, the poor thing had to endure 4 hours of being fed this Golytely stuff, through the above pictured NG tube, that cleans everything out within a matter of minutes.  Or more accurately, you think everything is cleaned out until it's not...anyway, she did this on top of being unable to eat, having vitals taken every couple of hours, and lots of unfamiliar people prodding and poking her.  She quickly learned that if she found the NG tube behind her ear, it was a lot of fun to try to pull out.  My time was spent trying to keep all tubes, IV's and monitors in place.

I swear sometimes babies can understand you...just after they placed her IV, and she wasn't done letting them know her feelings, I picked her up and said, "You tell them."  "Just give them a good kick..." She responded by replacing her screaming with laughing and we both "belly" laughed for a good couple of minutes.  The IV team said they had never seen such a reaction after placing an IV.  Leave it to my kid!

They took her to surgery around 8am, and just called with an update.  They are just biopsying the intestine to make sure she has the coveted nerve cells before re-attaching.  More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment