Monday, May 13, 2013

Part 2

Just because I am horrible at blogging and don't make the time, I tend to only do it when something "big" is happening....so, the "big" event is Etta will be going to hospital tomorrow morning to begin preparations for her corrective surgery to eliminate the stoma.
Life with a stoma was incredibly overwhelming initially, and was the "main event" of the day-to-day functions of my life.  I literally had to plan her changes when I had help.  In the beginning, diaper changes could take up to 20 minutes and require 6 hands.  We have it down to a science now and both Spencer and I can somewhat handle things on our own.  It is a good time for the Stoma to go, however, as Etta is aware she has this bump on her side, and likes to pull on it...YIKES!
We really won't be mourning the passing of the Stoma phase, as we have learned they have a pretty awesome projectile power and cause some major skin breakdown issues.  We, are, however, somewhat hesitant to re-enter the hospital setting and see our baby incredibly uncomfortable again.
She will go in tomorrow for "bowel" prep, which basically can be translated to lots of fluids and none of which are Etta's coveted formula.  I think this is the part I am most nervous about for tomorrow, as those of you who know Etta can attest to her "love of the bottle."  She will also be receiving some pretty powerful laxatives, which will enable that awesome projectile power of the Stoma...her poor nurses.
Getting to this point has also been stressful because last minute, her surgeon's son died, leaving us with a later surgery date than desired.  Many of you have not met Etta, and us keeping her under house arrest the past 5 months was in preparation for this surgery date.  To have it moved back was not really an option.  SOOOO, I dug through my contacts at Primary Children's and begun the search for a new surgeon.  We found a specialist in "gut" disorders who actually had openings for the original surgery date of 5/15, so here we go!
To keep the ostomy bag on, they suggest adding heat...Etta sporting her heat-packed belly.

I will try to keep this blog as up to date as possible, and truly appreciate the support we have already been show through this stressful time.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment