This morning at 6 am, following a pretty dramatic blood draw, I began to realize I had turned the corner to becoming "that Mom..."
You know, the one that the nurses turn on their best "customer is right" smile and attitude in response to "Momma knows best." When I worked at Primary Children's, I remember seeing Moms doing things that just seemed a bit "crazy." One particular instance I remember was one of the sickest patients I ever got to help. He needed quite a few interventions to breathe, and was not doing well. I spent many sessions with this kid and Mom utilizing relaxation techniques for them both. One day, I came in and she was standing bedside, straining her back and neck, tirelessly holding up his head. She held this position for days. I invited her several times to come and sit down, and she tersely replied, "No. Can't you see this is helping him." I thought, "Actually, no, can't you see that he breathes the same no matter his head position and you are adding undue stress to your back?" Of course I DID NOT say that, but didn't really understand her "crazy" at that moment. I am proud to say I now understand...
When your kid is hurting and there is absolutely nothing you can do, you begin to "find things" that you are ultimately sure make them more comfortable. Although to the outside observer, these things make no difference, and honestly seem a little neurotic, it is our way of coping with being unable to take away the pain and discomfort. So we pretend that our crazy little measures of comfort are of medical necessity...things like blanket position, length of time the mobile plays, the dimness of the lights, how loud your husband is watch TV, and many other small details. And you better be on the lookout if you happen to be the one who changes any of these things...Don't mess with my baby!
No comments:
Post a Comment